Ever wondered whether you should modify your skincare when you’re into yoga and fitness? SGD’s beauty, yoga and fitness fanatics answer your questions. Many girls steer clear of makeup when working out, or even worse, steer clear of working out because they are worried about their makeup. However, with all the options out there these days, working out, going to yoga, and having great skin are not mutually exclusive. They can go together.
Here are a few general tips for skincare and makeup for yoga and fitness, and what to look for:
- Make sure that whatever you use/wear in terms of skincare and makeup is appropriate for whatever activity you’re doing. You wouldn’t want to wear a full face of makeup to hot yoga for instance. That will just clog your pores, and you’ll end up with a sweaty pool of makeup on your yoga mat. If you’re going something really sweaty, wear light makeup, and use light moisturisers.
- If you must wear makeup while working out, wear a natural product, such as mineral makeup, and ensure that it is non-comedogenic, and won’t block your pores.
- Sweat is the body’s way of detoxing, and can help you achieve glowing skin, hence, you don’t want to avoid it, or stop it happening.
- If you are going to be doing a sweaty activity with others around, ie hot yoga, don’t forget the deodorant.
- Wear light moisturisers while working out, particularly if you are going to be sweating or in a hot environment.
- Don’t forget to replenish the skin, and potentially use richer face and body creams if you will be out in a harsh environment, such out outdoors in winter, and exposed to cold or windy environments which can dehydrate the skin.
- If you are in a sunny environment, don’t forget an SPF, or sun protection. You can even buy sun protective clothing now, so don’t forget this as an option. Jeunesse have a great, light day cream with sunscreen in their Luminesce range, which we find is perfect throughout a round of golf or other potentially sweaty activities.
- Be careful if you’re using active ingredients such as retinol, or hydroxy acids in your overnight skincare. These can react with sweat, or cause your skin to become more sensitive, and with higher levels of sweat and heat, this can cause some reactions, so be aware of this. You may want to consider washing your face before going to hot yoga, or super sweaty pursuits if you’re using these type of products.
- Allow yourself to cool down a bit before applying any skincare or makeup. If your core body temperature is still high, you may keep sweating after you finish, resulting in products or makeup sliding off. Consider using a cool shower if you do need to get ready in a hurry.
- Consider using products to ensure your pores don’t get clogged. A retinol or hydroxy acid type night cream can be great. Athia even has a retinol product designed specifically for active women, designed to minimise sensitivity when exposed to heat and working out (as a loyal SGD Beauty customer, you even get 10% off with our discount code “AthiayBiL”).
- Ensure you use natural makeup products. A light mineral foundation or cc cream is perfect if you must wear makeup while working out.
- Don’t forget the water proof mascara (obviously only if you do wear it while working out). Water proof formulas can be hard to remove, but they are very effective, and totally necessary if you are doing any sweaty activities. Panda eyes from smudged mascara is never attractive.
- Allow yourself to cool down a bit before applying any makeup. If your core body temperature is still high, you may keep sweating after you finish, resulting in products or makeup sliding off. Consider using a cool shower if you do need to get ready in a hurry.
- Consider the ingredients and quality of your makeup. You’re better off investing in a few high quality makeup products, so you can get away quickly. Arbonne has some great natural products, which we recommend for any active women.
Still not sure? Our beauty therapists can help. Contact us for more information.